Friday 5 March 2010

Solo Mission

As Dunnie discovered the other week OTH members seem to be a bit thin on the ground at the moment for one reason or another. Last night I was determined to get out, having not ridden for 2 weeks and despite Mark2 and Dave2 pulling out I decided a quick solo night mission was the way forward.
I prepped my lights and put on some warm kit (it was only 1 degree at 6.30)and set out on the Cove. I found I had a very stiff bottom bracket (ooh err) but decided to press on, on the basis that it might free itself up with a bit of pedalling and if it didn't then it would be good exercise - like working in a higher gear!
I decided to tackle the steep Coldharbour road route, a first in the dark but thankfully there was little traffic about. I seemed to make reasonably light work of it so I then headed into the play area and Cream Egg. I mooched about around some of our jumps and drops, the hip-kicker was predictably boggy on the run in so after one go I decided to leave it to recover naturally.
I then headed up into Redlands, a slightly risky decision as this part of Leith Hill is well known for it's poor drainage and is an area I usually leave alone in the winter months.
I hit Wave of Mutilation at a reasonable lick, clearing the fallen tree at the end and then climbed into Sweet Sweet Bulbs and surprised myself by hitting the main jump (not sure if that's my first time in the dark). I then climbed up the bridleway to the resevoir and took "Tom's" trail down the hill, building speed I nearly lost it on one corner in deepish mud but managed to keep my outside foot down and pushing through as per the guru's instructions kept me aboard.
A final descent down the lane and back to Dorking took me to just over the hour mark - a good little ride and worth the experience of riding some slightly gnarly stuff alone at night.
Roll on saturday as the trails are in pretty good shape.
Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment