Saturday 19 December 2009

Santa Claus is coming

Date : 19th December 2009
Riders : Rich, Mark2, Dave2, Simon, Andy
Area : Leith Hill

We arrived at Milton Heath Car Park in temperatures of -5degC... brrr.... But we wrapped up to be ready to take on the extreme temperature. We were joined by Dave2 (Welcome Dave) – a neighbour of Mark2 and Rich. Heading off around the back of the houses through Westcott we made good progress, but needed to make a few stops to shake our hands to get the blood flowing in them again..... did I mention it was cold?


We headed up the Rookery, discovering someone had smoothed out the steps and removed the big drop off at the bottom – great for the climb up, but we suspected the fun would be lost coming down!!! Up Wolverns lane, negotiating the snow, past the entrance to Summer Lightening and onto Simon's nemesis. We all cleared comfortably.... until Simon..... who gracefully vaulted the handlebars again!!! D'Oh!!



On up to the bomb holes, which I decided to take a whole new fresh line to avoid the big puddle and avoid Mark2 struggling to get to the top. Simon stopped at the last up and down – losing all momentum and without a hope of getting up the other side!!

A look down deliverance to see the tracks made by Dunnie (impressive line) and Bish (wipeout for all to see) from the previous night still emblazened in the snow!! On towards the tower, I followed the guys off a drop off, but not confidently and consequently lost the front wheel in the snow, going straight over the handle bars.... The only thing ringing in my ears was the sound of Bish shouting “Man down”!!! Hurt my foot and shoulder. For a split second I heard XC Tom's voice saying “Rotator cuff”....... Brushing myself off we headed on up to the tower for a warming cup of tea, and new style cakes!! The view was stunning, but the wind was freezing – we needed to hide on one side of the tower to keep semi warm, whilst eating our cakes and drinking our tea. The hot tea making us realise how bloody cold it really was!!!

Off to do Personal Hygiene and then up towards the cricket pitch. Slipping and sliding all the way. Off towards Summer lightening we paused at the entrance waiting for Simon. Off on the lower part of Summer Lightening – Mark2 led the way. Dave 2 followed, and at the cut through to the proper part of summer, took a face plant. Quite slow and graceful...... Once recovered, we all headed off to meet Mark2, who had started to become worried at our delay!!!! Last part of summer lightening completed, Mark 2 and Dave2 headed off home via beggar's canyon, while Rich, Simon and I took the fast trek down Wolverns lane to the start of the Rookery. Different track in the snow – but fun. The Rookery was fast without the steps, and we concluded that come the summer that would be a 40mph descent, with a jump at the bottom, hoping to avoid colliding with the barbed wire fence... .bring on the summer!!!!

Off onto the A25 and back towards Milton Heath Car Park. Cold, Snowy, Icy and a lot of fun!!!

More pics on Flickr.... follow the link

1 comment:

  1. Beaten by 32 minutes - Andys post outranks mine, but here it is as a comment, enjoy.

    Snow Crash

    Date : 19th December 2009
    Riders : Richard, Simon, Andy, Mark2 and Dave2
    Area : Leith Hill

    No sooner had the first reports of impending snow fall on the weather channel, then emails rained upon me with suggestions of a snow ride, so before the first flakes had made contact with the ground the Saturday AM ride had been set with five attending.

    Although I must point out that a sneaky night mission was executed by Bish and Dunnie the night before and all I can confirm from my source is that Deliverance was in fact, ridden in the snow… A first? I suspect so!

    I’ll confess now that I don’t have “The Bish Knowledge” so a detailed ride report this won’t be.

    A clear, still day I met Richard outside his house with his bike upturned and rear wheel removed as he struggled with some dragging brakes. Dave2 arrived and he and I stood by watching Rich, throwing in the occasional unhelpful comment until Richard decided that we can’t always ride perfect bikes and the ride started with brakes ‘a’ dragging.

    Meeting up with Andy and Simon we headed on over the back of Westcott and up a newly graded trail and along Wolverns lane, round the back of Summer Lightning, through the bomb holes for the obligatory stop at the top of Deliverance to chat about the previous nights antics by Bish and Dunnie and to point out a muddy gash in the ground where apparently Bish fell off!! I don’t believe it!

    Onwards with the struggle through the snow, I lead us up a bank and down the steep side picking up speed off the back of it. I kept the momentum going and I got a good flow going, only to find my self on my own. After a wait the rest caught up, apparently Andy came a cropper on the bank. Must have been a snow bunny jumping out on him.

    Still our sprits were lifted with Rich promise of a free cup of tea at the tower to who ever could ride the steep climb to the top without putting a foot down. In my excitement at the prospect of a free cup of tea I missed the fact the climb was covered in snow, making the task almost impossible. Still, I set off like a kid hearing Santa down stairs on Christmas eve only to find him snogging mum…. Oh the disappointment as I put my foot down!!! Rich must of seen the sadness in my face and said I could have a cup of tea anyway… ahhh thanks!

    Tea and cake consumed we did the usual Basic Hygiene, No Cycles, bomb holes and Summer Lightning. Where upon, the second time in this post, I find my self on my own!! This time there was some confusion on the route through the second part of Summer Lightning and by the sounds of things a Laurel and Hardy sketch ensued. During which Dave2 was bitten on the leg by either his bikes outer chain ring or could of even been a snake or bear? Who knows?

    Short on time, Dave2 and I said our farewells and Merry Christmases and split from the group. Thinking I had got away without an incident, no more then 200yards from my front door I hit some black ice and my arse hit the road like a sack of potatoes. As I stand here typing this out, unable to sit, I would like to formally hand in my notice as a ride leader. Too many Snow Crashes.

    Merry Christmas every one.

    ReplyDelete