Sunday 1 November 2009

decouvrir le cochon chinoise (..finding China Pig)

Another morning of spannering saw the fitment of an e-thirteen bashguard to the Nicolai. It's now looking respelendent with it's red Hope hubs and cassette detailing, plus the new Stan's rims. Just need a bit of dry weather and I might even take it out.....
I decided that as the day dried out I had a spare hour and trying to find a long piece of singletrack called "China Pig" which goes off the back of Box Hill had been in my mind for a while. It would also give me a chance to time myself on the "Box Hill challenge" climb, a steep bridleway running from Rykers Cafe to the National Trust cafe at the top. The climb was tougher than I remember from last time and my time of 9.30 won't take a lot of beating (or will it!?)...
From the top I rode round to the Smith & Wesson and entered a familiar bridleway next to the caravan park. Instead of heading straight on the trick is to take the first right and this is China Pig. It's a long and interesting piece of singletrack which gently descends into Juniper Bottom. No jumps, drops, bombholes or berms but plenty of off-camber tricky wet roots hidden by leaf litter. it's also a very natural trail (check out the link to a Muddymoles vid of it from earlier in the year)so quite different to a lot of stuff on Leith. For a short but good ride it would be easy to link with another trail I know which goes over Mickleham way.

Rich

http://www.vimeo.com/4938203

1 comment:

  1. Montar el cerdo de china (...riding the China Pig)

    The sun was shining and I had a free day which I opted to fill with some sort of mountain biking activity... Lucky for me I checked the blog before I went out and saw your post, the challenge was set.

    I knew the bridleway to the visitors centre so after a quick explore for some jumps near Kuoni (fail) I wound my way to the bottom of the bridleway. A miserable 9:40ish was my best, room for improvement. Need to confirm start and finish lines mind you.

    Spent 15 minutes trying to find the start of China Pig – after 2 false starts (There are a few bridleways in that area and the start of CP is quiet well hidden) I eventually found the trail. Within 50yards you defiantly know you’re on it. So it was brakes off and away I go, missing a ride round and nearly careening into a fallen tree, opps. The rest of the trail was very nice, staying relaxed and off the brakes to skim over those hidden roots.

    Defiantly worth riding again, nice one.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete