Friday 28 October 2011

Mmmm Zesty.....




I recently sold my Transition frame and forks, having decided that at 43 and a half I probably wasn't ever going to do the kind of dirt jump and slopestyle riding the bike was built for. Obviously this created a problem as I was down to 2 Nicolais, a part built hardtail and lots of nice components. Resourceful as ever I hit upon a fiendish plan - I'd buy another frame and build up a winter XCish bike. My choice would depend on being able to get hold of a used frame which would match my 150mm Revelation forks. I considered the Trek EX8 (couldn't find one), The Orange 5 (a touch too industrial for my liking - sorry Tom), The Santa Cruz Blur or Butcher (too expensive) or a Lapierre Zesty. Luckily for me a warranty replacement unused Zesty 514 frame (the one with the carbon rear end) came up on Singletrackworld. A weak negotiation from me followed and a few days later here she is!
Obviously my build is geared towards some "wheels off the ground" riding - 710mm bars, a 50mm stem, 1x9 gearing with a chain device and heavy Mavic downhill rims.
First impressions are great, the geometry is nice and slack, the bike is light and snappy and easy to pop - everything they say in those silly magazines in fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment